Information for Transfer Students

Welcome to California State University, Dominguez Hills.  This page contains helpful information for incoming transfer students.

New Student Orientation (NSO)

Incoming transfer students may attend a New Student Orientation (NSO) to learn about the university, meet with an advisor, plan a class schedule, and register for classes. For more information regarding NSO, click here.

Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement

The Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) is satisfied by passing the Graduation Writing Exam (GWE) or by taking appropriate writing certification course(s): ENG 350, or IDS 397 and IDS 398.  Students with 75 units or more must satisfy the GWAR as soon as possible.  If transfer students have satisfied this requirement at another CSU campus before admission to CSUDH, please contact the Testing Office, WH A-210 (310) 243-3909. For more information on the GWE, click here.


Incoming transfer students should meet with their major departments for major advising and the UAC for GE and overall graduation requirement advising.

Online Transfer Tutorial

BSN General Education Tutorial

Helpful Information

  • Bachelor's degrees require a minimum of 120 semester units.
  • Degree requirements are divided among General Education, a major, and, if necessary, electives or a minor.
  • Lower division courses are numbered 100 to 299, upper division courses are numbered 300 to 499, and non-degree applicable courses are numbered 001 - 099.
  • The General Education curriculum includes 55 to 59 units, including nine units of upper division courses. At least nine units of GE should be taken in residence at CSUDH.
  • The University accepts a maximum of 70 semester units from community colleges, whereas there is no limit on transferable units from 4 year colleges or universities.
  • Students must take at least 30 semester units in residence at CSUDH. Of these residence units, at least 24 must be upper division and 12 must be in the major.
  • At least one half the upper division units used to satisfy the minor must be taken in residence at CSUDH.
  • A total of 24 semester units graded Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) can be applied to the Bachelor's degree.

The information provided above is intended only as a guide. Consult the University Catalog and/or an academic advisor for complete information. For questions about the major, consult an advisor in the academic department.