1. How many children can I bring with me?
- Each Faculty/Staff member may register up to two (2) 8 - 18 year old students for Bring Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day. Each student must be excused from their classroom responsibilities individually, however a single registration can be completed for all attendees.
2. Do I need approval from my supervisor to participate?
- Yes! All Faculty/Staff must get approval from their MPP supervisor to bring a child to work and participate in the day's activities. Sufficient office coverage must be maintained when Faculty/Staff are participating in the day.
3. What is this year's theme?
- In honor of the 20th anniversary of Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work, this year's theme is "Work in Progress".
4. Which children can participate?
- Your 8 - 18 year old daughters and sons are welcome to participate and benefit from learning about the importance of college and are encouraged to join us on campus.
- Given the nature of the day and programs offered, we do not advise children under the age of 8 to participate.
5. Why do I need to pre-register?
- Registration is required to ensure we have sufficient staff and space for activities and enough resources for the day. This also allows us to preprint name-tags so we know exactly who will attend. All registration must be done online by clicking the Register tab above.
6. Why is this on a school day?
- The nationally recognized day for this event is the fourth Thursday in April. This date, recognized by the 112th Congress, is preset to allow communities and schools to plan and create meaningful events. Moreover, by scheduling during the school year, students can take what they learn at their workplace visit and apply it to their classroom interactions the next day. We especially hope these eager learners will promote going to college at CSUDH to their peers who attended different events or were not able to participate.
7. Is there an official sponsor for this?
8. What should I do if I registered and decide I cannot attend?
- If you have already registered but are now unable to attend please contact Marco Dowell at email@example.com or 310-243-2081 to let us know. Thank you.
9. When is the deadline to register?
- The deadline to register is April 22nd, 2013. Register TODAY!!!
10. Is lunch provided?
- We will provide limited picnic foods for lunch. We suggest using campus dining services to ensure your child gets the full CSUDH experience. There will be a hosted Ice Cream Social also included in the day.
11. Do I need to use vacation time to participate?
- The event is sponsored by Cal State Dominguez Hills so Faculty/Staff do not need to use sick or vacation time to participate. All Faculty/Staff must receive approval from their respective MPP supervisors prior to registering and must ensure sufficient office coverage is maintained during the day's activities.
12. What should I do when my child is job shadowing?
- The job shadowing component of Bring Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day is critical. This element exposes future Toros to what the CSUDH Faculty and Staff do on campus and why going to college is important. When your child is job shadowing you, your student will interview you about your work, so be sure to emphasize the related critical skills you learned through school. This will provide a nice connection between the student's current school work and their future aspirations. Also make sure to introduce your student to the people you work with and possibly coordinate their interview participation. Feel free to visit other offices across campus as well to be sure your student sees just how interconnected your work is to the educational mission of the University.