During the 2014-2015 academic year the MEPN program will be under review and WILL NOT be accepting applications until further notice. Please check this page periodically for any additional updates.
Other MSN programs such as CNS, FNP, Nurse Admin, and Nurse Educator remain open and students continue to be admitted.
Admission Criteria for the MEPN Clinical Nurse Leader Role Option
Below is a list of the admissions requirements for the MEPN Program. The application deadline is dependent on when you attend a MEPN Workshop. For a step-by-step list of the application process, please click here [PDF].
Please click here for Frequently Asked Questionsabout the MEPN admission process.
- BA or BS degree in any field but Nursing from an accredited institution
- Overall GPA of 3.0, preferably higher, in the last 60 semester units
- Grades of B or better in all science Pre-requisites required (Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology)
- Portfolio validating prior learning and work experience
- Three letters of recommendation (at least 1 from faculty and 1 from recent employer)
- Personal Interview
- Students will also be required to complete a certified nursing assistant (CNA) course prior to beginning the program and submit certification.
- Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (score greater or equal to 8). This will be completed after you are admitted in the program. See Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement in the University Catalog for more information.
Admission decisions are based on the overall evaluation of the applicant.
|Pre-requisites for Admission||Pre-requisites for Coursework|
|Chemistry||3 units *||Basic Pathophysiology||3 units|
|Critical Thinking||3 units *||(pre-requisite to MSN 527)|
|English||3 units||Research methods||3 units|
|Human Anatomy with Lab||4 units||(pre-requisite to MSN 530)|
|Human Physiology with Lab||4 units|
|Microbiology with Lab||4 units||Required for licensure|
|Speech||3 units||Psychology||3 units|
|Statistics||3 units||Sociology||3 units|
*Pathophysiologyand Research Methods are no longer required for admission; however, they are pre-requisites to coursework in the MEPN program and must be completed prior to enrollment in this course. Due to time constraints after starting the MEPN Program, we highly encourageyou to complete these before the fall semester starts.
Prior healthcare work experience
Applicants MUST attend a workshop to facilitate the development and presentation of their professional portfolio of academic achievement, personal accomplishments, and work experience. The faculty will review this portfolio as part of the admissions process and award points. At least 80 points are required to be considered for admission .
The Professional Portfolio includes:
- Official copies of all transcripts
- Resume or CV
- Recent photograph
- Letter of Intent and Goals
- Transferable and/or Healthcare Work Experience
- Community Activities
- Leadership Activities
- Reflection on Nursing as a Career
- 3 Letters of Reference
- Practical Plan of Action
- CSU Application Confirmation
Please click here [PDF] for the MEPN application process.