Applications for Fall 2017 will be accepted beginning October 3, 2016 until February 3, 2017. The application and MSW Program Information can be found below.
MSW Program Information and Application Instructions
We are very pleased that you are considering the Master of Social Work Program at California State University, Dominguez Hills. We believe we have a unique program and encourage you to view the various pages of our website as well as attend one of our scheduled Information sessions to learn more about what we have to offer.
Admission to the Master of Social Work program is limited to the fall semester each academic year; we do not offer spring or summer enrollment.
Fall 2017 applications for our 2 year full time program and our 3 year Accelerated program are accepted on a rolling admissions basis beginning October 2016. Applications will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis until spaces are filled. The deadline for the university application submission is early February 2017 for Fall 2017. Please note that you must complete a university application (CSUMentor) and a department supplemental application for the admissions process to be complete. Once spaces are filled the department will no longer be able to accept applications.
Criteria for Admission
The CSUDH MSW Program Admissions Committee welcomes applicants that can demonstrate high academic achievement and potential for professional social work practice.
- Completed bachelor’s degree with a liberal arts background (recommended) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Admissions is a 2-step process.
- 1st step: Applicants must apply to the University via CSUMentor, pay the application fee, and submit an application. Applicants must also submit one set of official transcripts to the University Admissions office; if the undergraduate degree was obtained at CSUDH, then the applicant would not need to submit a transcript to University Admissions.
- 2nd step: Applicants must apply to the Department of Social Work by: a) completing the supplemental application (personal statement, financial and time management statement, experience profile); b) submitting a separate set of sealed official transcripts (to be MAILED to the applicant and submitted with the supplemental application; do NOT order them to be sent to the Department); c) three (3) sealed letters of recommendation on letterhead with accompanying reference forms; and d) optional GRE scores.
- Students are required to have a 2.75 GPA in their last 60 units (or last 90 quarter units) to be admitted to the MSW program. Applicants with a lower GPA may be considered based on their meeting other criteria. These applicants should include an explanation for their GPA in their personal statement. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are strongly recommended if GPA is below 3.0.
- Students are required to have passed with a C or better one (1) course in human lifespan development or its equivalent. Click here for a list of equivalents.
- Students are required to have passed with a C or better one (1) course in elementary statistics.
Information Orientations for Prospective Students
We strongly encourage potential applicants to come to one of the Information Orientations and learn more about:
- The CSUDH MSW Program, what makes us unique and the various options available
- Our Curriculum
- Field Education
- Application Process
- Title IV-E Stipend Programs: CalSWEC (child welfare) & UCCF
In addition, prospective students will be able to get their questions answered and meet a member of the faculty and staff of the MSW program. If you would like to attend one of our Information Orientations, please contact the Department of Social Work at (310) 243-3170 or RSVP online.
[Get Adobe Acrobat Reader]