[Download Adobe Reader here]
Admission to the Master of Social Work program is limited to the fall semester each academic year; we do not offer spring or summer enrollment.
Fall 2014 applications for our 2 year full time program and our 3 year Accelerated program are accepted on a rolling admissions basis beginning October 15, 2013. Applications will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis until spaces are filled. The deadline for the university application submission is April 1 for Fall 2014. Please note that you must complete a university application (CSUMentor) and a department supplemental application for the admissions process to be complete. Once spaces are filled the department will no longer be able to accept applications!
Criteria for Admission
The CSUDH MSW Program Admission Committee welcomes applicants that can demonstrate high academic achievement and potential for professional social work practice.
- Completed bachelor’s degree with a liberal arts background from an accredited institution. Coursework should include a minimum of three (3) courses in the behavioral sciences (social work, sociology, cultural anthropology, psychology, economics, political science, gender or ethnic studies), two (2) courses in the humanities (philosophy, history, literature, religious studies, performing or visual arts, etc.), one (1) course in English composition and the two outlined prerequisites.
- Students must apply to the university via www.csumentor.edu and submit a complete application. A complete application packet including:one set of official transcripts from each college and university attended, personal statement, 3 sealed letters of recommendation, optional GRE scores, and the application itself. Please see the application for more detail.
- Students are required to have a 2.75 GPA to be admitted to the MSW program. Applicants with a lower GPA may be considered based on their meeting certain other criteria.
- Students are required to have passed one (1) course in either human development or its equivalent. Click here for a list of equivalents [PDF]
- Students are required to have passed one (1) course in Elementary Statistics.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are strongly recommended if GPA is below 3.0.
Information Orientations for Prospective Students
Come to the Information Orientations and learn more about:
- Field Education
- Application Process
- CalSWEC & IUC
In addition, prospective students will be able to get their questions answered and meet the faculty and staff of the MSW program. If you would like to attend one of our Information Orientations, please contact the Department of Social Work at (310) 243-3170.
MSW 2013-2014 Information packet [PDF]