[Download Adobe Reader here]
We are very pleased that you are considering the Master of Social Work Program at California State University, Dominguez Hills. We believe we have a unique program and encourage you to view the various pages of our website as well as attend one of our scheduled Information sessions to learn more about what we have to offer.
Admission to the Master of Social Work program is limited to the fall semester each academic year; we do not offer spring or summer enrollment.
Fall 2016 applications for our 2 year full time program and our 3 year Accelerated program are accepted on a rolling admissions basis beginning October 1, 2015. Applications will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis until spaces are filled. The deadline for the university application submission is February 5, 2016 for Fall 2016. Please note that you must complete a university application (CSUMentor) and a department supplemental application for the admissions process to be complete. Once spaces are filled the department will no longer be able to accept applications!
Criteria for Admission
The CSUDH MSW Program Admission Committee welcomes applicants that can demonstrate high academic achievement and potential for professional social work practice.
- Completed bachelor’s degree with a liberal arts background (recommended) from an accredited institution. Coursework should include a minimum of three (3) courses in the behavioral sciences (social work, sociology, cultural anthropology, psychology, economics, political science, gender or ethnic studies), two (2) courses in the humanities (philosophy, history, literature, religious studies, performing or visual arts, etc.), one (1) course in English composition and the two outlined prerequisites.
- Students must apply to the university via CSUMentor and submit a complete application. A complete application packet including: one set of official transcripts from each college and university attended, personal statement, 3 sealed letters of recommendation, optional GRE scores, and the application itself. Please see the application for more detail.
- Students are required to have a 2.75 GPA in their last 60 units to be admitted to the MSW program. Applicants with a lower GPA may be considered based on their meeting certain other criteria.
- Students are required to have passed one (1) course in either human development or its equivalent. Click here for a list of equivalents [PDF]
- Students are required to have passed one (1) course in Elementary Statistics.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are strongly recommended if GPA is below 3.0.
Information Orientations for Prospective Students
We strongly encourage potential applicants to come to one of the Information Orientations and learn more about:
- The CSUDH MSW Program, what makes us unique and the various options available
- Our Curriculum
- Field Education
- Application Process
- Title IV-E Stipend Programs: CalSWEC (child welfare) & UCCF
In addition, prospective students will be able to get their questions answered and meet a member of the faculty and staff of the MSW program. If you would like to attend one of our Information Orientations, please contact the Department of Social Work at (310) 243-3170 or RSVP online.
MSW Program Packet 2015-2016 [PDF]