CSUDH Institutional Review Board (IRB) for the Protection of Human Subjects
Subject recruitment and data collection may not be initiated prior to formal written approval from the CSUDH Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects.
The CSUDH Institutional Review Board is a committee comprised of faculty, staff, and community members who review research studies that involve the use of human subjects. The purpose of the IRB is to protect the rights of human research subjects by ensuring compliance with university and governmental regulations as specified by the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP).
To view documents: [Get Adobe Acrobat Reader free here] [Download MS Word Viewer here]
Where do I start?
Step 1: Read the following
Step 2: Complete the online training course in Human Subject Protections. Print a copy of the completion certificate after you finish this course.
The link to the course is:
Step 3: Determine when you plan to submit your proposal.
- It is best to submit at least two weeks before you plan to begin recruiting subjects to allow time for any required revisions.
- In some cases, the protocol must be reviewed and approved by the full board.
- The meeting schedule is shown below. Your proposal should be in the IRB office two weeks before the board meeting to be placed on the agenda.
- Principal Investigators (faculty members) must read proposals written by students prior to submission to the IRB. Proposals with numerous grammatical/spelling errors or unclear research methodology will be returned to the Principal Investigator for further review/revision.
- IRB 2014-2015 Meeting Schedule
Step 4: Fill out the forms - Follow the instructions below for all forms that need to be filled out.
- Please edit all forms carefully and only turn in final copies (no rough drafts). When all are completed, submit electronically by attaching to an email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check your submission against the Proposal Filing Checklist in Step 1 to ensure that all necessary elements are included.
- As noted below, one hard copy of the cover form (Form A) needs to be delivered to the IRB office in Welch Hall D445. IMPORTANT NOTE: Your protocol will not be logged in or reviewed until the signed copy of the cover sheet is received in the IRB Office.
- Cover Form - Required on all protocols. Preferred method, open-fillable Word document and enter all information. Send one copy electronically with your submission packet. Print out one copy, obtain all signatures and deliver to the IRB office in Welch Hall D445.
- Proposal Narrative - required on all protocols. Open the Word document and follow all instructions.
- Form B [MS Word Document]
- *Special Note about data security – In order to ensure confidentiality, all computer files containing data about human subjects must be password protected. This applies to the file, not just the computer. For information concerning ways to password-protect Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel files, open the link below-
- Password Protected Files [MS Word Document]
- Consent Form - open appropriate form for your protocol. Most of the research performed at CSUDH is within Social and Behavioral Science so that would be the form you use.
Other Possible Forms Needed - Check with the IRB office or faculty advisor to determine need.
For Biomedical Research Protocols
Other Documents You May Want to Examine:
Other Websites You May Want to Examine:
For more information contact Judith Aguirre, IRB Compliance Coordinator at (310) 243-3756 or email@example.com.