Graduation FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

[Get Adobe Acrobat Reader Free here.]

How do I apply for graduation?

Applying to graduate is done electronically.  Log into your account.  Click on the Student Center Link.  Find the Apply for Graduation Link.  Select your Expected Graduation Term.  Verify that your degree information, address, and names are correct.  Then Click Submit! The application for graduation costs $65.00 if you are applying within the deadline.  If you are applying during the late deadline period, an extra $15.00 fee is added to your account.  Fees must be paid within 48 hours of submitting the application.    

back to top

When should I apply for graduation?

All students should apply for graduation no later than the published deadlines. Bachelor degree candidates are encouraged to apply for graduation if they have earned at least 90 semester units or have less than 10 courses to complete. 

back to top

When will I receive my Degree Check?

Students should login to their MYCSUDH account to view their degree progress report.  The degree progress report will indicate if there are outstanding degree requirements with a red square.  If you have further questions on how to read your degree progress report, please contact the Office of Admissions and Records or work with your major advisor. 

back to top

Why does the Graduation Evaluation show I need the courses in which I'm currently enrolled?

The Graduation Evaluation reflects all courses outstanding including those in progress. Course requirements are not met until final grades are assigned.

back to top

I received my Associates degree from a Community College. Why are you holding me for General Studies requirements?

The Associates degree is not the same thing as General Education (GE) Certification. CSUDH Bachelor degree candidates must meet all CSUDH GE requirements or be GE Certified via their Community College.

back to top

What is GE Certification?

GE Certification is where the Community College certifies that you have completed General Education according to their GE plan. This plan may differ from Cal State Dominguez Hills' GE plan, but is accepted as meeting lower division GE requirements.

back to top

How many units/courses can I have outstanding and still graduate?


back to top

Can I go through Commencement Ceremonies and finish my courses later?

Spring Commencement Ceremonies are for those students that have graduated the previous Fall and for those who are candidates for Spring or Summer. You may attend these ceremonies if you fall into one of these groups. However, participation in Commencement Ceremonies is not the same as graduating. You will not be able to actually graduate until all of your requirements are met. If you have not completed all requirements by the end of the semester you indicated you will have to change your date of graduation and complete a Request for Change of Graduation Date form and pay a $10.00 fee. You may obtain this form on the Forms web page.

For information about the Commencement Ceremony please contact the Office of Ceremonies and Events by telephone at (310) 243-2666 or by email at

back to top

Can I retake courses after I graduate to improve my G.P.A.?

No. After you have graduated, your record is sealed. No changes will be made to Academic Records once the degree has been completed and conferred.

back to top

What do I need to do if I have been denied graduation?

Students should contact their departmental advisor to review all outstanding degree requirements. Changes or updates to a student's record must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records no later than 2 week after the denial notice to ensure graduation within that term.

back to top

What if I cannot graduate in the term I've applied to graduate?

Students should file a change of graduation form in the Office of Admissions and Records after obtaining the appropriate signatures. This will allow the student to register for an additional term.

back to top