Certification Office for Veterans Affairs

The Certification Office is here to assist veteran students and their dependent family members that use their VA education benefits to pay for a university education.

This office processes and maintains compliance related to the certification of VA education benefits for student veterans and their dependents at CSUDH. 

We are a part of the Veterans Support Team on campus, and continuously work with our Veteran Resource Center at CSUDH. Although our office is a separate entity, we are still located on campus in the Welch Hall.

The Veteran Resource Center remains available to assist you with the university application process, making a seamless transition to university life, and supporting your success on campus through various programs and services.  For our active duty service members, please remember to contact your Educational Services Officer (ESO) on base, prior to enrolling in courses or using Tuition Assistance (TA).   

Below are the chapters of federal VA education benefits that students may use at CSUDH:


Federal VA Chapters of Education Benefits

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment®

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 35: Dependent Educational Assistance®

Chapter 1606: MGIB Selected Reserve®


Requesting VA Certification

Once you are admitted to the university and have already been approved for education benefits, you may request to be VA certified by submitting a Certification Action Request form online through the link provided. 

Please note, students who wish to be VA certified must submit the Veteran Action Request form every semester (i.e. Fall, Spring, Summer, Winter).

In order to be certified, the following documents will need to be submitted to our office:

Required Documents:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
    • Issued by the US Department of Veterans Affairs® 


  • 28-1905 – Authorized Voc Rehab form
    • Issued by assigned Voc Rehab Counselor to Ch. 31 recipients



Requested Document: DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (member-4)*.

*While this document is not required, we request that you consider submitting it to the university for possible credit evaluation towards your degree and documentation. 



CalVet College Fee Waiver (State Veteran Benefit)

The CalVet College Fee Waiver is a state funded benefit. It is part of the California Department of Veterans Affairs.  It is not directly affiliated with the US Department of VA®, and it is not a federal education benefit. 

The CalVet CFW waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus.1

To find more information on eligibility for this state funded veteran education benefit, please visit the CalVet College Fee Waiver through the link provided.

To Use the CFW - If you have already been approved for the CFW and wish to use it here at CSUDH, please submit a copy of your approval letter to us via email or fax, using the contact information below. You may also bring a copy to our office in person.



Contact Us

Certification Officer - Marisa Nunes
Location - Welch Hall, 2nd Floor, Admissions and Records office (C-290)
Office Hours - Monday-Friday, 8:30a - 5:00p
Phone - 310.243.2594
Email - certification@csudh.edu
Fax - 310.516.3609


Our goal is to serve those who have served our country by assisting veterans and their families obtain an education from CSUDH.




1Content from CalVet Official Website - https://www.calvet.ca.gov/.