Accreditation and Approvals
The Western Association of School and Colleges' (WASC) Handbook of Accreditation* states that voluntary, nongovernmental accreditation of both institutions and programs is a unique characteristic of American education that establishes standards of quality and effectiveness. The specific purposes of accreditation are:
- To assure the academic community, the general public, and other organizations and agencies that an institution/program has clearly defined objectives appropriate to higher education;
- To encourage institutional/programmatic development and improvement through self study and periodic evaluation by qualified peer professionals;
- To promote institutional engagement with issues of educational effectiveness and student learning and to develop and share good practices in assessing and improving the teaching and learning process;
- To promote a culture of evidence where indicators of performance regularly developed and data collected to inform institutional decision making, planning, and improvement;
- To develop systems of review and evaluation that are adaptive to institutional context, build on institutional evidence and support rigorous review; and
- To promote interchange of ideas among educational institutions/programs through peer review.
CSU Dominguez Hills is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges [located at 9533 Airport Boulevard, Suite 200, Burlingame, CA 94010, (650) 696-1060], which is one of six major regional accreditation agencies in the United States.
CSU Dominguez Hills is also accredited/approved by other agencies in the following special fields.
- Business Administration: Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) located at 7007 College Blvd., Suite 420, Overland Park, KS 66211.
- Chemistry: American Chemical Society, Committee on Professional Training located at 1155 Sixteenth Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20036.
- Clinical Sciences:
- Cytotechnology Option: Affiliate accredited by the Programs Review Committee of the American Society of Cytopathology, sponsored by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) located at 35 E. Wacker Dr., Suite 1970, Chicago, IL 60601-2208.
- Medical Technology Option: National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) located at 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018.
- Computer Science: Computing Science Accreditation Commission (CSAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET) located at 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202.
- Education: National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) located at 1919 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Suite 202, Washington, DC 20006, and the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) located at 1900 Capitol Ave., Sacramento, CA 95814-7000.
- Health Science:
- Orthotics and Prosthetics: Affiliate accredited by the National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education (NCOPE) located at 330 John Carlyle St., Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314 and sponsored by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) located at 35 E. Wacker Dr., Suite 1970, Chicago, IL 60601-2208.
- Music: The National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) located at 11250 Roger Bacon Dr., Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190.
- Nursing: Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education located at One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036-1120. Approval of the MSN Clinical Nurse Leader Role Option and the Family Nurse Practitioner Program by the California Board of Registered Nursing at P.O. Box, 94420, Sacramento, CA 94244-2100.
- Occupational Therapy: The Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) accredits educational programs for the occupational therapist. The standards comply with the United States Department of Education (USDE) criteria for recognition of accrediting agencies. Accreditation Department, American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. 4720 Montgomery Lane, P.O. Box 31220, Bethesda, MD 20824-1220.
- Public Administration: National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA) located at 1120 G. Street, N.W., Ste. 520, Washington, DC 20005.
- Social Work (MSW): Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) located at 1725 Duke Street, Suite 500, Alexandria, VA 22314-3457, (703) 683-8080, fax (703) 683-8099.
- Theatre Arts: National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) located at 11250 Roger Bacon Dr., Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190 (Associate Membership).
*WASC Handbook of Accreditation, January 2001, page 8