The mission of the music program is:
- To offer music courses for both the General Education program and the department that develop cultural knowledge and professional skills.
- To provide each music student with a broad knowledge of music history and theory.
- To improve the musicianship skills of each music student.
- To give students opportunities for hands-on experience with current music and media-related technologies.
- To provide music students with career-oriented skills for use in the music industry.
- To provide courses appropriate for the training of music teachers for studios and private and public schools.
- To provide opportunities for the entire University community to experience music as a means of personal fulfillment.