Applicants for admission to the MPA Program must meet the CSU Dominguez Hills admission requirements for post-baccalaureate or graduate study and the graduate admission requirements of the Department of Public Administration.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Are in good standing at the last institution attended.
- Have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) upper division units OR 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Attain a minimum score of 550 paper-based, 213 CBT or 80 IBT on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test OR attain a minimum score of 6.5 overall on the International English Testing System (IELTS) test. The TOEFL or the ILETS is required for all applicants who have received all, or a significant portion, of their education in a language other than English. Applicants seeking a waiver of the TOEFL or IELTS exam can contact the Office of American Language & Culture Program at 310.243.3830 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, visit their website at http://csudh.edu/alcp/Toefl%20Waiver.html.
Additional Department Admission Requirements
- A college-level math course equivalent to one that meets the university's General Education Reasoning Requirement in our Academic Catalog. Grade of "B" or better is required.
- Copy of current resume.
- 1-2 page double-spaced personal statement outlining how this program would assist in the applicant's career goals.
- If the applicant's GPA falls below the minimum requirements and/or fails to meet the college-level math requirement, two letters of recommendation from academic or professional references are required. Reference letters will be accepted either through mail or email. For mailed letters, reference letters should be on letterhead and sent directly from the reference. For email, reference letter should be emailed reference's workplace or professional email account. Personal accounts such as yahoo or gmail are not acceptable.
Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement
The Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) is required of all entering students in the MPA program. This is not an admissions requirement, but must be met before nine units has been completed in the program. To satisfy the GWAR, students must accomplish one of the following criteria:
- An earned bachelor's degree from another CSU campus in 1984 or later
- A grade of B or higher in English 350 or written acknowledgement from the instructors of IDS 397 and 398 that performance in the course commensurate with a grade of B or higher.
- A score of 4.0 or higher on the Analytical Writing Analysis of the GMAT exam.
- A score of 4.0 or higher on the Analytical Writing section of the GRE exam.
- A score of 8.0 or higher on the GWE administered by the Testing Center.
For more details about the GWAR requirement, visit the Testing Center.
Application Filing Dates
Applicants should have their CSUmentor.edu applications complete, all official transcripts submitted to University Admissions, and the resume and statement of purpose emailed to the MPA Program Office by admission material deadline dates.
The MPA online program is offered in three (3) semesters each year, and currently accepts new students for sessions in Spring and Fall. There are two online formats on different academic calendar schedules - 8 week and 12 week. Spring applications will be available on August 1 and Fall applications will be available on October 1.
12 week online program deadlines
Spring Session (January): October 1 application deadline
Spring Session (January): November 1 application materials (transcript/resume/personal statement) deadline
Fall Session (June): April 1 application deadline
Fall Session (June): May 1 application materials (transcript, etc.) deadline
Fall Session (September): July 1 application deadline
Fall Session (September): August 1 application materials (transcript, etc.) deadline
8 week online program deadlines
Spring Session: October 1 application deadline
Spring Session: November 1 application materials (transcript, etc.) deadline
Fall Session: June 1 application deadline
Fall Session: July 1 application materials (transcript, etc.) deadline
The MPA on-campus program is offered once a year in the Fall semester. Fall applications will be available on October 1. **Please note, applicants must submit their FAFSA by March 2 to be eligible for State University Grants.
Fall Semester: June 1 application deadline
Fall Semester: July 1 application materials (transcript) deadline
An application fee of $55 in U.S. funds, payable to CSUDH, must accompany your application. The fee is nonrefundable and may not be transferred to another term at any campus. **Application material received and accepted after the published deadline may incur an additional $15.00 application fee and requires approval from the Department. Please note: a copy of your submitted application, personal statement and current resumé does not occur an additional fee if submitted after the application deadline.
How To Apply:
- Submit an online application through CSUMentor. A new application must be submitted for the semester you intend to enroll even if you have previously applied. Applicants must choose one of the three MPA program choices - MPA online 8 week for the specialized concentrations, MPA online 12 week for the online public management concentration, and MPA Campus for the oncampus public management concentration.
- One official transcript from each college or university attended. Transcripts should be sent directly from the issuing institution to the Office of Admissions and Records either in sealed envelopes or electronically to ADMIT@CSUDH.EDU. Dominguez Hills alumni do not need to submit DH transcripts, but may still be required to submit or resubmit other transcripts.
- A one-to-two page typewritten personal statement that describes the applicant's professional accomplishments and goals and explains how a MPA degree would help reach those goals. The personal statement will be used to evaluate the applicant's critical thinking and writing skills and to access the appropriateness of a MPA degree to the achievement of the stated goals. Please submit directly to the Department at MPAOnline@csudh.edu. The CSU Mentor "Statement of Purpose" is not required, simply enter "Sending to Department" on the application.
- A current professional resume or CV. The resume will be used to evaluate the applicant's academic background and professional experience. Please include specific dates for each position and whether it was full or part-time employment. Please submit directly to the Department at MPAOnline@csudh.edu.
- Certified English translations of non-English transcripts (International students only) must be sent to the Office of Admissions and Records. Students from foreign institutions must have their transcripts evaluated by a NACES agency such as WES and submit a course by course evaluation.
- TOEFL/IELTS score (if required) sent directly from the appropriate testing organization to the Office of Admissions and Records. Graduate applicants who have not attended schools at the secondary level or above for at least three years full-time where English is the principle language of instruction must present one of the following:
- A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL exam
- A minimum score of 80 on the internet-based TOEFL exam (iBT)
- A minimum score of 213 on the computer-based TOEFL exam
- A score of 6.5 or higher on the IELTS
For more information regarding required documents for international students, click here.
To send transcripts to the University Admission and Records office, please use the address below:
Office of Admissions and Records
California State University Dominguez Hills
1000 E. Victoria St.
Carson, CA 90747
Electronic Transcripts (preferred) to ADMIT@CSUDH.EDU
For questions or concerns regarding receipt of transcripts, please contact the Office of Admissions and Records at 310-243-3645.
To send application materials to the Department, please use the address below:
MBA & MPA Outreach and Admission Counselor
College of Business Administration and Public Policy
California State University Dominguez Hills
1000 E. Victoria St. SBS A323
Carson, CA 90747