- Completion of the Graduate Record Examination General Aptitude Test; an average GPA of 3.5 waives this requirement, as does a previously acquired masters in another field.
- Completion of a B.A. degree from an accredited college or university;
- A grade point average of 3.0 (B) or better in the most recent 60 semester units of upper division course work undertaken as a student.
- Those meeting the minimum requirements will be asked to submit written statements about themselves, their backgrounds, interests, and experiences. These statements will be reviewed by an admissions committee, which will then interview qualified candidates.
- In addition to the above, if students are admitted into the M.F.T. Program, they will be required to take the Graduation Writing Examination (GWE) and score at least eight, or take one of the undergraduate certifying courses at CSU Dominguez Hills and make at least a grade of “B.” Normally, M.F.T. students will take the exam prior to the end of their first semester (fall semester) in the program. In any case, students must either pass the exam or the course by the end of their first year in the program or be subject to disqualification.
Classified Standing and Conditionally Classified Status
Only students who have met all requirements as noted under “Preparation” for the M.S. in Marital and Family Therapy Program will be considered for admission with “Classified” standing. Students who lack any or all of the admission requirements may be considered for admission into the program with “Conditionally Classified” standing. This would allow them to enroll in the University to correct their deficiencies, and also permit them to take up to nine semester units of graduate course work which could apply toward their degree if and when “Classified” standing has been established. Please note that admission to Conditionally Classified Standing does not assure that a student will achieve Classified Standing in the program.
Requirements for Advancement to Candidacy
Candidacy status denotes successful completion of a significant portion of a student’s graduate program (30 semester units) and allows the student to take the written qualifying examination, which is offered during the student’s last semester of study. It includes a positive review of all graduate work by the coordinator. See the "Graduate Degrees and Post Baccalaureate Studies" section for complete requirements for Advancement to Candidacy.
How To Begin
- Contact the Student Services Center via phone or email to receive further information on the program or make an appointment with an advisor to go over the degree.
- Submit a University Admission Application with a $55.00 (non-refundable) application fee. The application can be submitted at www.csumentor.edu.
- Fall and Spring application opens - October 1st
- Spring deadline -November 1st
- Fall application deadline - February 1st
A $15 late fee will be assessed if the completed Admissions application and ALL transcripts are not received PRIOR to the deadline date. Applications will not be reviewed until ALL transcripts have been submitted.
ATTENTION: STUDENTS INTERESTED IN APPLYING TO A SPRING MFT COHORT.
The MFT Program at CSUDH is one of the very few programs that will offer a SPRING Cohort.To take advantage of this unique opportunity please inquire and apply NOW. Deadline is November 1. So, all materials must reach our office in October. Good luck and best wishes!
- An official transcript is required from each college or university attended. Send transcripts directly to Admissions and Records, NOT to the MFT department. Additionally, request a copy to be sent directly to you for your personal portfolio and for use with your advisor when discussing your program. Transcripts should be ordered at least 4 weeks prior to the respective deadline date, and it is strongly suggested that prior schools send all transcripts directly to you so can forward them to CSUDH Admissions and Records office directly. Transcripts are “official” as long as they are not opened.
- Submit supplemental materials to the MFT department: the 2-3 page minimum autobiography, unofficial copies of all transcripts, and letters of recommendation, which are recommended, but not required. These materials MUST be submitted to the department simultaneously with the university application.
At any time, you may check your application status by calling (310) 243-3645 or via MyCSUDH. Because the application process takes about six to eight weeks, it is strongly suggested that you check your application status three to four weeks after submission to ensure that your materials are being processed.