Over the next five academic years (2016-2021), the CSUDH University Library will make progress in the following overarching goals identified in the Academic Affairs Strategic Plan:
- Research and Creative Activity
- Public Service and Community Outreach
- Sense of Historical Identity and Diversity
Working action plans will be developed annually to document planning, timelines, and measurable outcomes for each of the identified strategic directions.
Maps to Academic Affairs Goal 1, University Goals I, II, III, IV, V, VI
- Lead campus efforts to advocate for and provide access to open and low-cost educational resources to ensure information equity among students.
- Provide library users with friendly, attentive, and consistent service and timely, high-quality information and referrals.
- Develop a variety of online and face-to-face information literacy learning opportunities for students.
- Strengthen the library’s participation in campus efforts to attract and retain students.
Programs - Quality, Strength, and Capacity
Maps to Academic Affairs Goal 2, University Goals I, II, III, IV, V, VI
- Develop a comprehensive and sustainable information literacy program that builds on collaborations with campus partners and includes both foundational and capstone experiences.
- Develop outreach strategies and clear expectations for the library liaison program.
- Develop a culture of assessment that supports evidence-based decision making and accreditation processes.
- Ensure library employees’ strengths, skills, and interests are being best utilized in support of the library’s mission.
- Investigate and implement strategies to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of collection management.
- Develop clear processes, procedures, and policies for both internal and external audiences that ensure the efficient functioning of library operations and services and cultivate a welcoming, clean, safe, and inclusive environment.
- Develop employee expertise in the new unified library management system in order to more efficiently acquire, manage, and share library resources.
- Implement an external relations program that includes communications, publications, and donor cultivation.
Maps to Academic Affairs Goal 3, University Goal I
- Foster a community of librarian-scholars committed to a culture of continuous improvement.
- Lead campus conversations about the open access movement and the changing nature of scholarly publishing.
- Ensure that library-provided information resources support faculty teaching and research.
- Develop a suite of information literacy digital learning objects to support online, hybrid, face-to-face, and flipped classroom activities.
- Strengthen the library’s participation in faculty development efforts.
Research and Creative Activity
Maps to Academic Affairs Goal 4, University Goal II
- Promote student and faculty research.
- Develop and assess library collections to ensure they meet the research needs of the CSUDH community.
- Explore opportunities to transform library spaces into places where both knowledge and materials are created rather than stored and accessed.
Public Service and Community Outreach
Maps to Academic Affairs Goal 5, University Goal I
- Identify and prioritize opportunities for library partnerships with the regional community.
Sense of Historical Identity and Diversity in Shaping Academic Programs
Maps to Academic Affairs Goal 7, University Goal I
- Engage with campus and community partners to cultivate and promote the use of our special and regional collections.
Maps to Academic Affairs Goal 8, University Goals I and V
- Create and maintain exemplary physical and virtual spaces that support teaching, learning, scholarship, and community engagement.
- Because collections are increasingly electronic, mobile, and ubiquitous, repurpose some spaces devoted to housing print materials to become technology-enhanced interactive learning and creative spaces.
- Position the library as the campus’ intellectual and creative hub by hosting events, speakers, panels, workshops, book signings, etc.
Back to top