How Do I Make My Class Available (So Students Can Access it)?
- Go To Control Panel in Class.
- Go to "Customization".
- Go to "Properties".
- Go to #3, Set Availability, and Choose "Yes" to make course available to users.
What Happened to the Control Panel?
There is no separate page for the Control Panel any longer. Its functionality has been either absorbed into other areas (for example, the ability to add announcements and edit the course menu directly from the course home page) or it is located right here on the course home page, below the Course Menu, in the area entitled “Course Management.” All the tools that used to be on the Control Panel page are located within a sub-menu which can be accessed by clicking a down chevron.
How do I create an Announcement?
- Go to the Announcements page (this is the default course home page).
- Click the Edit Mode switch to “On” (this makes all the editing tools appear).
- Click the “Create Announcement” button.
- Enter information as needed and click “Submit.” (Note: Announcements will display unless otherwise restricted by a date range, most recent on top.)
How do I add material to a content area?
- Click the Edit Mode switch to “On” (this will display all content areas of the course, even those which are unavailable or have no material in them).
- Go to the content area in which you wish to add your material (e.g., upload a syllabus).
- Click the “Create Item” button to upload a single document (or type in text).
- Type in your text in section 1 or Browse to the document in section 2.
- Set options as needed and click “Submit.”
- For folders and external links, click that option under the “Build” button menu.
- For tests, surveys, assignments, and Safe Assignments, click that option under the “Evaluate” button menu.
- For blogs, wikis, podcasts, and document packages (zipped files of multiple documents), click that option under the “More” button menu.
How do I change the course menu?
- Click the Edit Mode switch to “On” (this makes the entire menu and all options visible).
- Links to areas of the course which are hidden or have no content will be grayed out.
- Click the chevron to the right of any menu item to see the options for that item.
- Click the double-headed arrow to the left of any menu item to drag-and-drop it to a new location.
- Click the plus sign to the left of the course title for options to add content areas or links.
- Click the “Edit Mode” switch to “Off” when you are done to see how this looks to students.
How do I send an e-mail to my class?
- Go to the Tools page (there is no separate Communications page any longer).
- Click the “Send Email” tool (tools are in alphabetical order, left column then right column).
- Pick the option which best suits your purpose.
- Enter subject and text, attach file if needed, and then click “Submit.”
How do I see the list of students in my class?
- Go to the Tools page and click the “Roster” tool.
- In the Search bar, click the drop-down for the field showing the option “Contains” and select the last option, “Not Blank” (the name can be either first name or last name). Click “Go.”
- The “Roster” tool works better to list all students, because the “Users” page under “Users and Groups” (in the Control Panel area) does not have the “not blank” option, so one can only search for specific students.
How Do I Make Changes to an Item I've already uploaded?
- Click the Edit Mode switch to “On” (this makes visible all the chevrons for item menus).
- Click the chevron next to the item you need to modify (a long menu should pop up).
- Click the first option, “Edit,” to change information or replace a file.
- Note that there is a “Copy” button which allows copying this item to another course space; and there is also a “Delete” option if necessary.
How Do I Access the Grade Center?
- Click the chevron to the left of the Evaluation sub-menu (under the Control Panel area).
- Click the Grade Center link (the Grade Center will take a few seconds to load).
- Click the “Create Column” button to add an item to the Grade Center.
- Hover the mouse over the “Manage” tool button in order to see a menu of tools options, including the “Column Organization” page where you can show/hide columns, change the order in which columns appear in the Grade Center, change the sort order and many other features.
- Click the chevron to the right of any column header to see options for that grade center item, including editing existing items, deleting columns, and options specific to certain types of columns (for example, statistics for surveys or downloading files for assignments).
- Click in the cell for a specific student and column in order to enter a grade; click the chevron which appears on the right side of the cell for grade details or to add a comment.
- Hover the mouse over the “Work Offline” button to see the options for downloading readable files.
- Under “Reports,” the “View Grade History” will show all changes to all student grades.
- You can temporarily change the order of columns by using the “Sort Columns By” and “Order” options (permanent changed should be done via “Column Organization” under “Manage”).
- You can choose the number of rows to see at once by using the “Edit Rows Displayed” button.
Why are some students getting kicked out of tests (access denied errors)?
There have been reports of this happening to some students due to 1) unknown problems with the quiz or Blackboard or 2) issues with the way students are navigating the quiz or other programs running while taking test.
While we do not have a solution for problems with Blackboard itself, we are working with Bb to resolve problems. There are a few things that you can do to help students:
- Avoid copying and pasting from Word since this tends to carry a lot of underlying code that can cause problems.
- At this time, the DL Department recommends that students use the latest version of Firefox Browser (free) rather than Internet Explorer, Safari, or other browsers since there seem to be fewer issues with Firefox.
Why can't I email students my announcements?
The new feature (notifications) is not working correctly at this time. In the meantime, the easiest way to do this is to copy the content of the announcement and use the Send Email feature in Blackboard. Select to send to all students.
How do I get rid of all the extra columns in my Grade Center?
Next to each column heading in the Grade Center, there is a set of chevron arrows. Click this to select “Delete Column”. Keep in mind that if the column is linked to an activity in the course, you cannot delete it. What is the easiest way to see if all of my activities are in the Grade Center? In the Grade Center, select Manage > Column Organization.
Scroll to your graded activities. This will show you the list of items in the grade center, their points, and other information. You can reorder the columns here by dragging and dropping the four-headed arrows on the left of each. Why isn't my button to an external link working?
Some of you include a menu button to an external website. If you set it to open in a new window, it is likely broken. This is a bug that has been reported to Blackboard. We are requesting that you open items in the same window until this is fixed.
Also, for links in course materials, sometimes the items open in a new window that minimizes to the student’s task bar and they think the item is not there. Selecting to open in the same window will resolve this problem.
How students create a personal webpage?
The “homepage” feature is no longer available in BB 9.1. An instructor needs to create a blog, journal or a wiki. Then students will be able to create a profile or a homepage.