Page background blue

Tax Information

The U.S. government considers filing income tax form(s) while visiting us important because it is proof of "good intention" on your part to follow their rules and regulations. It also complies with the legal process called "full disclosure" of information that can be checked if you apply for an "alien registration" (green) card in the future. Statistically speaking 75% of all international students eventually seek U.S. citizenship.

Filing Income Tax Forms

As an international student you will need to file income tax forms each year. The type of form(s) you file depends on whether or not you earned income in the U.S. last year.

Earned Income in the U.S. Last Year

The Internal Revenue Services (IRS) policy requires international students who did earn income (money) in the U.S. last year to file both the Form 1040NR-EZ and Form 540NR-EZ. Mail both forms no later than Monday, April 13th. Use the following links to print your tax forms or pay on-line.

[Get Adobe Acrobat Reader free here]

No Income Earned in the U.S. Last Year

The IRS requires international students who have not earned any income (money) last year to file Form 8843 and mail it to IRS Center, Philadelphia, PA 19255, by Monday, June 15th. The Form 8843, "Statement for Exempt Individuals Form," qualifies the F-1 visa student so that they are exempt from filing their tax forms when not earning any income in the U.S. Use the following link to print this form.


Questions about filing your income tax forms can be directed to the following agencies: