Student International

The International Student Services (ISS) office provides services to international students on F-1 visas. Some services include travel signatures, career practical training (CPT), SEVIS transfers, optional practical training (OPT) and much more.

ISS also coordinates cultural and social events that allow our students to share their national heritage and get involved with the campus educational community. Additionally, the center provides information for on- and off-campus resources.



International Registration Hold

All international students are required to provide proof of health insurance. If you have a international registration hold on your account, it is because you still need to provide proof of health insurance for the upcoming semester. Students should remove this hold prior to their registration appointment. Email your proof of insurance to for review. Include your first name, last name and CSUDH ID number in the subject line of the email. This is the only way you may submit your proof of health insurance. If you are not able to scan and email it to the email address, please contact the ISS Coordinator. For privacy reasons, please note that students are responsible for emailing their own proof of health insurance to ISS. We will not accept emails from any off-campus insurance companies. Make sure that you are emailing ISS the proof of insurance from your email account.

New Automated Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure-Record) Process

Effective April 30, 2013, for travel via air and sea, the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) will no longer issue paper versions of the Form I-94 upon your entry to the U.S. Instead, the Port of Entry Officer will place an admission stamp in your passport marked with the visa status (F-1, J-1, etc.) and the letters "D/S" to indicate you have properly entered the U.S. Your arrival and departure information will be recorded electronically in the CBP's database. If you are traveling by land, you will be issued a paper Form I-94.

International students may access their electronic Form I-94 online within approximately 24 hours of their arrival to the United States. All students should keep a printed Form I-94 with their passport in case they apply for future benefits such as work authorizations, social security numbers or driver's licenses. For more information about the new Form I-94 process, please visit the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol website.

Immigration Reminders

International Passports


Full Time Enrollment

As an F-1 visa holder, you are expected to enroll FULL TIME each fall and spring semester.

•         Full time enrollment for undergraduates is 12 units.

•         Full time enrollment for graduate students is 8 units.

Part Time Requests

If you plan on taking less than a full course load for the fall 2014 semester, you must submit a part time form to the ISS office no later than January 30, 2015. Part time forms are available for pick up in the ISS office. Please be sure to schedule an appointment prior to coming in.

Online Units

International students on the F-1 visa are limited to enrolling on only ONE (3 units) online course per semester. If you are enrolled in more than one online class, you must visit the ISS office to review your immigration status.

Note: If you only have one class left to take to graduate, that class must be taken as an in-class, traditional course to be in compliance with legal guidelines governing your F-1 status.

Add / Drop Deadline

The LAST day to be able to add / drop classes this spring 2015 semester is February 5, 2015.

On-Campus Employment

F1 students are authorized to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters, and full time during summer and winter vacations. Please meet with the ISS Coordinator for more details.

Personal and Emergency Contact Information

To be in compliance with U.S. Immigration Regulations, it is extremely important that the university has current contact information for all international students AT ALL TIMES. Failure to update your personal information in your campus portal may put your immigration status in jeopardy.

Travel Signatures

Students who are traveling outside of the country need a valid travel signature on page 3 of the form I-20. Travel signatures are provided by the ISS Coordinator. Upon submission of a travel signature request (see forms and documents webpage), the ISS Coordinator will review the students information and immigration documents. 

For current students, travel signatures are valid for one year. For individuals on OPT, travel signatures are valid for six months. Students should not wait until the last minute to request a travel signature.