Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Phi Alpha Theta is an international history honor society. The Tau Epsilon chapter at CSUDH promotes the study of history through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication, and the exchange of learning and ideas among historians.
Phi Alpha Theta (ΦΑΘ) is an American honor society for undergraduate and graduate students and professors of history. The society is a charter member of the Association of College Honor Societies and has over 350,000 members, with about 9,500 new members joining each year through 860 local chapters.
Benefits of Joining Phi Alpha Theta
- Certificate of membership in Phi Alpha Theta (suitable for framing)
- Subscription to the Phi Alpha Theta magazine
- Ability to participate in history activities nationwide, including conferences where you may present your research
- Opportunity to wear special graduation ornamentation (available through Phi Alpha Theta's website)
- Your honors society membership will appear on your CSUDH transcript
- Add this membership to your resume and reference it when applying to graduate programs
- A one-time fee provides lifetime membership
- As a member of Phi Alpha Theta, you are eligible to apply for the honor society’s awards and scholarships offered each year. Phi Alpha Theta awards scholarships and other prizes on the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level. All student members are eligible to present a paper at our Biennial Convention and at the Phi Alpha Theta Regional Meeting in their area.
- Undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 12 semester hours (4 courses) in History achieve a minimum GPA of 3.1 in History and a GPA of 3.0 or better overall. Eligible candidates must also be in the top 35% of their class.
- Provide grade transcripts for verification (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- Pay a one-time membership fee of $50 when you apply
If you are interested in joining or if you have questions, please contact the Phi Alpha Theta adviser below. See the Faculty page for her current office hour information.
Find out more about Phi Alpha Theta at its national website.