60–69 units in total
The following courses, or their approved equivalents, are required of all candidates for the degree focusing on the Community Health or Health Care Management options. A major in Health Science in one of these two options consists of lower division required core courses, upper division required core courses, and lower and upper division courses corresponding to the option. The core courses are common to both of the options. The lower and upper division option courses vary with the option.
Common Core Requirements (30–36 units)
Lower Division Required Courses (6 units)
- HEA 201 Healthcare Systems & Perspectives (3) *
- MAT 131 Elementary Statistics & Probability (3) †
* Students are advised to take this course to meet the GE Area E requirement and the Health Science lower division requirement.
† Students are advised to take this course to meet the GE Area B.4 requirement and the Health Science lower division requirement.
Upper Division Common Core Requirements (30 units)
- HEA 312 Introduction to Public Health (3)
- HEA 313 Introduction to Biostatistics (3)
- HEA 315 Interpersonal Skills in Health Communication (3)
- HEA 466 Environmental Health Problems (3)
- HEA 467 Health Policy Issues and Analysis (3)
- HEA 468 Multicultural Health (3)
- HEA 471 Law, Ethics and Social Values in Healthcare (3)
- HEA 479 Research Methods in Health Sciences (3)
- HEA 490 Health Science Senior Seminar (3)
- HEA 496 Internship in Health Sciences (2) (CR/NC) *
- HEA 497 Internship Seminar in Health Sciences (1) *
* Courses must be taken concurrently.
Community Health Option (30–33 units)
Lower Division Required Courses (0–3 units)
- BIO 102 General Biology *
* Students are advised to take BIO 102 to meet the General Education Requirement and the Health Science lower division requirement.
Upper Division Required Courses (21 units)
- HEA 308 Pathophysiology for Health Professions (3)
HEA 320 Contemporary Health and Disease (3)
- HEA 314 Health Behavior (3)
- HEA 316 Introduction to Epidemiology (3)
- HEA 461 Community Health Needs Assessment and Program Planning (3)
- HEA 462 Methods in Community Health Education (3)
- HEA 463 Health Program Implementation and Evaluation (3)
- HEA 464 Health Educator as Community Resource and Advocate (3)
Electives (6–9 units)
- HEA 319 Leadership in Healthcare (3)
- HEA 465 Introduction to Global Health (3)
- HEA 477 Long Term Care Administration (3)
- HEA 495 Special Topics (1–3)