The mission of the Programs in Clinical Sciences is to provide high quality education and professional preparation for a diverse student population to prepare them for traditional and emerging roles as clinical science professionals.
Program Goal and Objective Learning Outcomes
The goal, in addition to preparing clinical practitioners, is to produce clinical scientists who can research, develop, evaluate and implement skills and procedures utilizing a high degree of independent judgment, cognitive knowledge, and to consult where appropriate with other members of the health care team. More specifically, students will be expected to enter their careers with the competencies listed below.
- Demonstrate the ability to recall, apply and synthesize knowledge of scientific, clinical concepts, pathophysiology, and methodologies in each area of the clinical laboratory.
- Demonstrate the ability to correlate laboratory findings with the pathophysiology displayed.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform clinical diagnostic testing, evaluate outcomes, and make decisions in order to solve problems related to pre-analytical, analytical, and post analytical components of services in each area of the clinical laboratory.
- Demonstrate the ability to use knowledge of research design/practice to evaluate published studies, to create anabstract and proposal, and to address advances and innovations related to clinical laboratory science.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply principles of management to address laboratory operations, communication, ethics, safety, regulatory and compliance, and professional career development.
- Demonstrate professionalism in personal conduct by showing the ability to communicate effectively, respect for patient rights, culture and privacy, participate as a member of the health care team, and maintain continuous compliance with standards of practice.
- Graduates of the clinical internship program are expected to take and pass the appropriate state and national credentialing examination(s), to gain employment as a certified/licensed medical technologist (MLS/CLS/MT) and cytotechnologist (CT) professional, to sustain membership in professional organizations and to participate in continuing learning throughout their careers.