Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)
Students working toward a master's degree are required to demonstrate writing ability commensurate with above average performance at the baccalaureate degree level. This requirement should be met within the first semester of graduate work by successfully completing one of the following:
- A score of eight (8) on the Graduation Writing Exam (GWE). Students who fail to score an "8" have the option of taking the exam a second time.
- A grade of "B" or better, or its equivalent, in one of the university certified writing courses. A list of approved courses is available in the University Advisement Center.
- For graduate students in English, satisfactory performance on the Graduate Exercise administered by the Graduate Committee.
- For graduate students in the MBA program, a score of 4.0 or higher on the Analytical Writing Analysis of the GMAT.
- An upper-division or graduate level course that is certified as meeting the writing requirement by the Coordinator of the Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement, (310) 243-2191.
Departments and programs may, at their discretion, establish additional writing requirements for their graduate students. For further information, contact the program coordinator.