Out of State Students
Out of State First Time Freshmen Requirements
The university's criteria for admission as a first–time freshman are met if a student:
- Is a high school graduate;
- Meets eligibility index; and
- Has completed with grades of "C" or better each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements. Courses must be completed prior to the first enrollment in the California State University.
Out of State Transfer Student Requirements
Upper division students are eligible for admission to the CSU if they meet the following requirements:
- Have completed 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units)
- Have completed at least 30 semester (45 quarter) units of general education courses, graded C or better in each course including:
- 1 course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units in written communication or “English” courses are courses establishing your college writing skills. You may have needed to take a placement exam to get into the college-level English or writing course. This is usually not a literature, creative writing or upper-division course.
- 1 course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units in oral communication, or “speech” are courses on presenting and being evaluated on speaking in front of others.
Note: Interpersonal communication, when taken out-of-state, is not usually accepted to meet the speech requirement.
- 1 course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units in critical thinking or “logic” courses are looking for critical thinking, examining arguments, reasoning, analyzing, or argumentation and debate in their course title. These are commonly found in Philosophy or English departments. They may be the second English course required at your school. Look for the keywords mentioned in course descriptions and titles.
Note: This is usually not an introduction to philosophy or ethics course.
- 1 course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units in mathematics/quantitative reasoning or “math” are college-level math courses that list intermediate algebra as a prerequisite.
Note: The mathematics course must be above the level of intermediate algebra.
- Have a grade point average of 2.00 or better in all transferable college units attempted, and
- Are in good standing at the last college or university attended (i.e. eligible to re–enroll at that college or university).
Note: When using out of state coursework to meet admissions criteria a course syllabus may be required to make final determinations.
BSN applicants refer to the School of Nursing for additional admission criteria.
For more information, call the Transfer Hotline at 1–877–U2CSUDH (1–877–822–7834) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.