1. General Advisement
  2. Major Advisement
  3. Faculty Advisors
  4. Child Development Program Office

Students should contact the department they seek information about. For example, financial aid questions should be directed to the Financial Aid Office. Before contacting any department, please have your Student ID ready to enable the staff to locate you records.

DepartmentRoomPhoneEmailSecondary Phone
Admissions & RecordsWH C290(310) 243-3645admit@csudh.eduRegistration Helpline - (310) 243-3608
Financial AidWH B260(310) 
Disabled Student ServicesWH B250(310) 243-3660 TDD: (310) 342-2028

General Advisement

The University Advisement Center provides assistance with general education courses and requirements, planning class schedules, major and minor information, general education course substitutions, GE course equivalencies at other universities and colleges, academic probation and disqualification advising, Math (ELM) and English (EPT) course placement, and university policies and procedures. Please visit the University Advisement Center website for additional information.

Students who need assistance with general advisement should contact the University Advisement Center at or (310) 243-3538. The University Advisement Center is located in Welch Hall A-220. New students are encouraged to see an academic advisor prior to enrolling in classes. Students should meet with their General Education advisors each semester to ensure timely progress towards degree completion and long-term goals.

Transfer Students should contact the University Advisement Center to confirm their GE course completion. To determine whether any Child Development courses you have taken will count for Child Development Core Coursework, please visit You will be provided with a list of courses at the college that you attended that articulate with Child Development courses at CSUDH. Please review the list carefully to assure you have met all the requirements for articulation. All Child Development courses must be passed with a “C” or better. If you have questions regarding course articulation please contact your Major Advisor at the Student Services Center.

Back to top

Major Advisement

The Student Services Center for the School of Health and Human Services provides assistance with information regarding Child Development Program requirements, verification of community college articulation for Child Development core courses, degree progress and schedule planning, probation and disqualification advising, electives verification and submission, and filing for graduation. Please visit the Student Services Center website for additional information.

All Child Development majors are required to meet with their major advisor for first-time major advisement. Your major advisor will review the core and elective requirements in the major and provide assistance in mapping out a plan to complete the core coursework.

  • Entering Freshmen should schedule this meeting during their sophomore year before they move on to the advanced tier courses and above. In their first two years in residence, students should ensure they are on track to complete their introductory and immediate tier Child Development core coursework around the same time they complete their lower-division general education requirements. 
  • Transfer students should meet their major advisor before or during their first semester in residency to assess whether any Child Development courses taken at another college or university will articulate with core requirements and to develop a degree progress plan. Prior to the meeting, students should visit to look up courses that transfer from various community colleges to CSUDH. Students should bring a copy of their unofficial transcript to their first-time major advisement meeting if their transfer courses to do appear under Transfer Courses in MYCSUDH.

Current students are encouraged to meet with their major advisor regularly and are required to meet with an advisor upon the completion of 30, 60, and 90 units of coursework.

Students may call the Student Services Center at (310) 243-2120 or (800) 344-5484. The Student Service Center is located on campus at WH A-300 (see campus map). You may also send your queries via email to

Preparing for your Student Services Center Advisement Appointment:

  • Please have your Student ID (SID) available when you make your appointment. 
  • Please bring in necessary forms and documentation (e.g., unofficial transcripts) to your advisement appointment.

Registration Holds:

  • If you are inquiring about a problem affecting your registration, please check your degree progress report in mycsudh to be familiar with what type of hold(s) that you have (e.g., financial aid, probation) and the department (e.g., University Advisement Center, Financial Aid) that placed the hold before requesting assistance. 
  • The Student Services Center is not able to remove all holds. They are only able to remove holds that pertain to Major Advising and Academic Probation, but not to include STEPS Probation Holds, which are put on by the University Advisement Center. 
  • For all other holds, students should contact the department that placed the hold to have it removed. 
  • To remove holds placed by the Child Development Program, please make an advisement appointment with the Student Services Center.

Obtaining Permission Numbers for Child Development Courses:

The Student Services Center does not provide permission numbers for Child Development courses. Appointments to obtain permission numbers may be made with the Child Development Program office after registration begins. Please see the procedure for obtaining a permission number below.

Applying for Graduation:

Students are encouraged to make an appointment to see an advisor well in advance of their graduation filing deadline. Students who wait until the last minute to schedule an appointment face the possibility of not getting an appointment before the filing deadline.

Below are the Application Filing Periods when applying for graduation. The Application for Graduation must be filed in accordance with the following schedule. Failure to apply in accordance with the schedule below could delay your degree past your intended graduation date. Also there will be additional fees assessed for applying after the regular deadline.

Degree Conferral TermRegular DeadlineLate Deadline
Fall SemesterJuly 1September 15
Spring SemesterOctober 1Last day of fall semester
Summer SessionFebruary 1April 15

Please note that if the above dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be the previous working day.

For information regarding Graduation, please visit the following websites:

Back to top

Faculty Advisors

Faculty Advisors can provide assistance with information regarding career choices, graduate school, selecting electives, and approving course/elective substitutions. Students are assigned a faculty advisor by last name (see below). Students can make an appointment to meet with their faculty advisor by contacting the Child Development Program office at 310-243-2029 or via email at Appointment dates and times change each semester. Faculty advisors are only available during the academic year and are not available during the winter and summer breaks.

Last Names Beginning with:Faculty AdvisorOffice
A - FDr. Veronica AllenWH A-310E
G - LDr. Anupama JoshiWH A-330E
M - RDr. Megumi KuwabaraWH A-310C
S - ZDr. Kimberley RadmacherWH A-320C

Back to top

Child Development Program Office

The Child Development Program office can answer general questions regarding the Child Development Program as well as provide permission numbers for child development courses.

Obtaining Permission Numbers for Child Development Courses:

To obtain a permission number, please contact the Child Development Program office to no sooner than two weeks before the first day of registration at from your toromail account. Emails will be responded to on a first come, first served basis. The staff member will only email to the toro student email. If a student has been experiencing difficulties with their email, please contact the IT Help Desk at 310-243-2500 for assistance. The permission numbers will be emailed from When requesting a permission number, please remember to indicate the following:

  • Your Student ID number
  • Course and Section Number (if there are two sections of a course, you may be given a permission number for an alternate section if the section you requested is filled).

Students should only request a permission number if they are prepared and have met all prerequisites:

  • The only Child Development courses that require permission numbers are CDV 180, 225, 240, 496, and 498.
    • If you are requesting a permission number for CDV 180, 225, 240, and 496, you will need to have verification of your TB/Live Scan (fingerprinting) clearance. Please read the instructions posted on the Program Requirements webpage. In addition, if these courses require other prerequisites, those will need to be met as well (e.g., CDV 225 will require TB/Live Scan clearance, but it also has a prerequisite of CDV 180).
    • Permissions number for either CDV 496/498 will be emailed to students by the end of the second week of registration, provided that the student has submitted all parts of the application for each course. Students enrolling in CDV 496 and CDV 498 will be assigned their first choice of section based on the order in which their applications were received. Once a section has been filled, students may be assigned to their second or third choice. If you are unsure what materials are needed for these courses, please refer to the following links: Directed Field Experience and Directed Research.
  • Please try to register for ALL other courses on your own before requesting a permission number.
    • If you still need a permission number after attempting to register, please look on your degree audit and verify if the prerequisites for the course have been meet and are posted. Your degree audit report can be found by using MYCSUDH (under the Degree Progress Tab>Report Type>Choose Advising Report>Go>Choose Degree Audit Tab at the top>Expand All to see both your GE and Major courses). If the prerequisite courses are not posted on your degree audit, you will need to bring in an unofficial transcript verifying completion of the prerequisite to your scheduled appointment.
    • If you have or are currently taking a course at a community college that is a prerequisite for a course that you need a permission number for, you will need to supply the Child Development Office with this information. If the course is still in progress when registration begins, you will need to bring in a copy of your registration to confirm that you are enrolled in the course. Once the course has been completed, it is the students' responsibility to submit an official copy of the transcript to the Admissions and Records Office and to also provide the Child Development Program Office with an unofficial copy in order to verify completion of the course with a C or better.

Back to top